Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Seemingly Great (but awful) Book Titles

I'm definitely late (I hope fashionably) to the blogging game, but that's better than being comfortably numb...I think. 

I've always enjoyed making lists:  Top 10 Movies, Top 10 Albums, Top 10 Hook-ups, etc.  It's truly one of my favorite tools of procrastination.  So, since I've decided to blog the musings of my own wayward demise, it seems appropriate to start with a list.    

With that, here are 5 seemingly amazing book titles that are actually idiotic if you think about it...

1) The Grapes of Wrath: 

Migrant workers and the dust bowl. It makes sense that the grapes take on a terrifying metaphorical presence until you start pairing up some other fruits and vegetables like....Tomatoes of Fury and Peaches of Pity

2) The Sun Also Rises

I mean, I think we all know that the sun rises and sets. That the sun also rises is kind of repetitive and obvious. Why not keep going at this point with....The Sun Also Rises in the Morning After It Sets at Night

3) The Catcher in the Rye

My favorite novel of all time is also the most difficult title to explain.

4) 1984

George Orwell was clearly no Nostradamus, who was wise enough to give himself hundreds of years to be incorrect about his apocalyptic vision. Orwell wrote his most famous novel in 1949, a mere 35 years away from dystopia. This may have provided some immediacy to his work, but when 1984 came and went with nothing but a Van Halen album, I think we can all agree the better title would have been...2084

5) The Beautiful and the Damned

I don't think the artistry of F. Scott Fitzgerald could ever be compared to a soap opera. And yet, I can't help but think of the Bold and the Beautiful, One Life to Live, and The Young and the Restless every time I think of this work of art.


There you have it, my first blog.  Can you come up with 5 more stupid titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment