Sunday, October 6, 2013

LAX to Boston to LAX


It seems only fitting that this brief but important passage in my life ends with a Boston wedding.  Four months ago, I boarded a Boston bound redeye armed with a pharmacy to combat an impending cold.  Sickness never came, but I experienced a flu of emotions on a journey that unexpectedly took me to Boston, New York, and Philadelphia before returning to Los Angeles.  Along the way, I felt a revived sense of faith blossom from within, but upon entering my apartment on a sweltering Sunday afternoon, I instantly deflated onto my bed, incapacitated to plug the optimism seeping out of me in all directions.  For the next few months, I looked for those seemingly lost feelings  to discover that although these now scattered emotions could no longer reside in me, I could hold onto them briefly.  And so I felt them flicker like lightning bugs on many summer nights.  Momentarily flashing in my grasp, love then heartbreak, the inspiration I need to write.   The wedding is over and the honeymoon has begun for some.  But tomorrow I’ll board a plane in Boston and return to my apartment in Los Angeles sometime in the afternoon.  Vapidity has rendered me sad, but sadness gives hope that I'm not so empty after all. Either way, I'll pick up a pen and try to make sense of it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment