Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Telephone

Over the last week, I've had the opportunity to speak on a landline for probably the first time in seven or eight years.  Maybe because it's been so long, but I guess somewhere during that time period, I forgot that you were supposed to be able to clearly understand and seamlessly absorb someone's words while listening on the phone.  In fact, the difference in voice quality is so pronounced that I might even be willing to trade the ability to immediately post pictures of Nicoise salads on facebook from my iPhone to hear my friends and family in proper fashion.  It's scary to think about what else we've traded for the sake of convenience.  I can still remember the numbers for most of my childhood friends.  866-2317, 235-8194, and 439-1402 would be my three closest friends from middle school.  I couldn't tell you one person's cell number from the last decade, however.  I guess I don't have to. Nor do I need to know my way around town with the aid of my trusty map app.  But really, perhaps it's ironic on some level that the nuance of voice is becoming more and more distorted through the cellular waves.  In the search for connection, have people not become more and more disconnected?  Why have a conversation with the person in front of you when you can play with your mobile device?    Why call when you can text? Why keep up friendships when you can like their facebook status?  Communication is certainly cheaper and easier than it ever was, and that is something to be desired, but are we really hearing what's being said?






No comments:

Post a Comment