Monday, December 2, 2013

Fulfillment Vs. Happiness Vs. The Alchemist

Every so often a book comes along for people who don't normally read. A book for faux dilettantes with advanced degrees surprisingly capable of literacy beyond the buttery verbiage of US Weekly.  A book to be recommended, no not recommended, but gifted with the erect tinge of self-satisfied heroism.  A book to be showcased amidst a select mountain of accomplishments that is the mantle of the Facebook Wall.   Not too long ago, that book was The Alchemist, a clever little self-help book masquerading as an allegorical novel written by the Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho.

There are two ideas I remember most in this book, that I too read seven or eight years ago, and have confirmed today via the advanced research technique of glancing through The Alchemist Wikipedia page.  First, when a person sets out on a goal, a truly noble goal that is, defined by the innocence of unsullied childhood aspiration, "the universe conspires in helping you achieve it." Good to know right?  The second passage I vaguely remember but of course looked up to bestow validity in my prose is, "Love never keeps a man from pursuing his Personal Legend.  If he abandons that pursuit, it's because it wasn't true love."  Together these two quotes not only form the foundation for "having it all" happy endings, but for a fulfilling existence.  If you set out on a path, you will achieve it, and find love via a process of elimination that could never get in the way of your destiny.    Fulfillment in life, happiness in love.  Bullshit on the heels of the protagonist shepherd's bare feet.

Forgive me if I sound somewhat dour in my return to blogging, I suffer from undiagnosed bouts of futility that most likely only new episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm could cure. But in all seriousness,  my somber tone is a result of an intense regimen of writing, my alleged destiny and path to fulfillment...that certainly isn't bringing me any happiness.  There have been road blocks along the way, intermittent stops where fleeting droplets of joy rained down on me, but during those times fulfillment was merely the illusion of rusted metal reflecting gold.  No one ever asked me to cease with my journey on their behalf, so by Alchemy standards, true love was upon me.  And yet,  I continue on my Personal Legend alone.   It's one or the other, I firmly believe.  Perhaps being truly fulfilled will bring a sense of happiness.  But that would be neglecting the gold shed along the way to find a different kind of treasure.









No comments:

Post a Comment